We get it. Getting into backcountry skiing and splitboarding can be intimidating with all of the gear and knowledge you need to stay safe. That’s why we teamed up with TREW Gear for our third season of Backcountry Beta.
What is Backcountry Beta? This monthly virtual workshop gives members an opportunity to dip their toes into topics of backcountry skiing and snowboarding, for FREE. However, this year we created a paid option, with four payment levels at $10, $25, $50 and $100. ALL of these proceeds went to the Indigenous Backcountry Scholarship. We raised $755 from Backcountry Beta paid members for the scholarship. Yay friends, thank you!
This year's workshops were incredible. In case you missed them, here is what we covered.
Session 1: Shifting into Your Backcountry Mindset with Ginny White, a TREW Gear athlete
- Gear check + what you should get prepped
- Shifting your mindset, practicing skills, honing your brain + awareness for crucial backcountry behaviors like terrain navigation, decision making, and risk mitigation
- Goal setting
- And more!
Get all the Beta in a downloadable PDF and watch the replay here.
Session 2 : Tune your Body and your Mind with Sara Histand from Ski Babes
- Priorities for winter strength
- Posterior chain: booty power
- Core strength: stability on slippery surfaces
- Twisting & rotation resistance
- Tensegrity: impact absorption for happy joints
- Balance challenges: playful & practical
- Three favorite exercises for skiers & snowboarders
- Why these exercises matter
- Nervous system & mental health-informed training
- Titration: growth without overwhelm
- Periodization: training for the cycles of life
- Self-talk: how you talk to yourself matters
- Weakest Link Syndrome
- Anti-diet culture: nourish yourself
Get all the beta in a downloadable PDF and watch the replay here. Sara guides us through all of the exercises in the recorded live session.
Session 3: Terrain Selection and Risk Mitigation with two Coalition Snow Ambassadors, Clancy Sindlinger and Madi McKinstry
- Backcountry etiquette: thinking about who's above and below you
- Risk assessment + mitigation
- Terrain management in more complex terrain
Get the downloadable PDF and watch watch the replay here.
Session 4: Communicate for Comfort in the Backcountry with Coalition Snow Ambassador, Natasha Buffo
- Determine Your WHY, Share It and F***ing Own It
- Speak Up and Listen
- Pay F***ing Attention to Verbal and Non-Verbal Cues
- Ask Open-Ended Questions
- Check for Understanding
- Remember, “You Can Always Turn Around”
Work through the prompts from Natasha with the PDF or follow along while you watch the replay.
Session 5: Multi Day Trip Planning with Coalition Snow Ambassador, Bestey Peryea
- The Basics of Multi-day ski trips
- Choosing your destination and/or route
- Sleeping and eating
- Gear you will need for both winter camping and hut trips
- Planning your first multi-day ski/ride trip
- And more
Get gear lists, food prep worksheets and the full PDF of what we discussed, and watch the recording here.
Thanks to everyone who tuned in this season to Backcountry Beta and we can't wait to see you next year!