Sporty Moms On Screen
As we head into Mother's Day weekend, here's a short, curated list of films from our friends at the Women's Sports Film Festival featuring athletes who are also mothers. Enjoy!
- Luchadora (#WSFF16) follows Luna Mágica, a professional Lucha Libre Wrestling star who dreams of becoming World Wrestling Champion while struggling to make ends meet as a single mom in Mexico City. Directed by River Finlay.
- In Denali's Raven (#WSFF17) climber, skier and guide, Leighan Falley reconciles her adventurous spirit with the demands of parenthood by learning to fly.
- Women are Mountains (#WSFF18) takes you to the quiet countryside of São Paulo, Brazil and into the lives of climbers Monica Filipini and Danielle Pinto as they balance their responsibilities as parents with their passion for the mountains. Directed by Renata Calmon.
- Run Mama Run, a five-episode series that chronicles elite runner Sarah Brown's journey as she trains through an unexpected pregnancy to compete in the Olympic trials 16 weeks after giving birth. Directed by Daniele Anastasion
- Being Serena on HBO, an intimate, first-person documentary about tennis legend Serena Williams during her pregnancy, early motherhood and marriage as well as her journey back to supremacy on the court.
- Bethany Hamilton: Unstoppable (#WSFF19) on Netflix and iTunes, follows the legendary surfer on her journey from childhood to motherhood.
- This a good day to revisit the 2019 New York Times OpEd's written by Alyson Felix and Alysia Montaño that led to new maternity policies and protections for sponsored athletes.